Spending time on the water is a great way to escape the stress and worries of your everyday life. Being on a boat allows you to relax in the sun and enjoy time in nature with your family and friends. However, not all boat days end well. Unfortunately, just like vehicles on land, sometimes vessels in the water get into accidents. Boating accidents can cause devastating injuries and even fatalities.
When a waterway incident harms you or a family member, a McAllen boat accident lawyer might be able to assist. A skilled personal injury attorney could file a legal claim to help you recover compensation for all your losses.
Common Reasons for Waterway Accidents
Most boating incidents occur because of operator negligence or recklessness. Some of the most common kinds of operator mistakes that lead to injuries include:
- Failure to maintain the boat
- Deciding to operate the boat in bad weather
- Failure to look out and monitor the surroundings
- Overcrowding the vessel with too many people or items
- Unfamiliarity with the rules of the local waterways
- Overindulging in alcohol – Many people who would be unwilling to drive a car drunk have no problem operating a watercraft while under the influence.
- Failure to have enough safety equipment – Without an adequate supply of life jackets, first aid kits, and flare guns, a minor accident could turn into a catastrophic incident.
- Operator inexperience – While most people take learning to drive a car very seriously, they do not spend much time trying to learn how to operate a water vessel safely.
A proactive McAllen attorney has experience proving boat operator negligence and winning financial recovery for boat wreck survivors.
Different Types of Water Vessel Incidents
A wide variety of boat accidents can cause people harm, such as:
Collisions Between Two or More Boats
When one vessel crashes into another, the impact of a collision can cause passengers to fall onto the decks, resulting in:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Internal injuries
A boat crash could also cause a passenger to fall overboard and pose a drowning risk.
Inexperienced boaters or operators unfamiliar with the area might run aground, causing injuries to their passengers.
A vessel that takes on too much water could sink or capsize.
Crashing Into a Person in the Water
Inattentive boat operators could crash into a wader, jet skier, or swimmer. If the boat is motor-operated, the propellers could cause deep cuts, lacerations, and even amputations.
Crashing Into a Fixed Object
When boats collide with docks, bridges, and other fixed objects, they risk the safety of the boat’s passengers.
Fires and Electrocutions
A fire on a boat can quickly escalate, especially if the boat’s operator does not have a working fire extinguisher, leading to passengers suffering from severe burns or even death.
Experienced boat accident lawyers in McAllen have had success helping injured people recover from all types of boating incidents.
Contact a McAllen Boat Accident Attorney Today
Boating accidents frequently result in severe injuries and even fatalities. If your family suffered losses in a waterway incident, you should contact a McAllen boat accident lawyer. A seasoned legal representative could meet with you to learn about the incident and perform a detailed investigation gathering and preserving relevant evidence to help support your claim.
Call our dedicated legal team today to get started.